Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tomato Dip L'kovod Shabbos

Everyone has been clamoring for "Shabbos Recipes", specifically the heimishe Hungarian Shabbos recipes. But what can I tell you? I'm not one of those balabustehs who create amazing heimishe Shabbos meals. I've told you before - I'm pretty much the anti-balabusteh. As a matter of fact I cook very little for Shabbos. There are no big eaters in this family and I find it a waste of time to spend hours slaving in the kitchen for the garbage can.

I used to bake Challah until I simply did not have the time anymore. At this point I get challah from an incredible family in the neighborhood (long story). I do cook fish every week, but that's not a noteworthy recipe. Chicken soup I cook once a month or more and freeze a whole lot of them. Potato kugel and farfel my husband buys at the butcher take out since there are barely any takers. Cholent, too, I cook once in several weeks and freeze. My cholent is really not noteworthy in the least; my husband fills himself up with his rebbetzin's heavenly-according-to-him cholent, which I've never been able to replicate, and my cholent gets only a tiny spoonful and the rest goes into the garbage...

So I have nothing to offer you Shabbos-wise. Sorry.

But... hang on. I just went through my recipe box and found something you could use.

Back a few years ago, before my life was turned upside down by my son's diagnosis of autism, I did try to patchkeh a little for Shabbos. One of the 'newer' Shabbos dishes my mother had introduced a few years ago, after I was already married, is tomato dip. I never went for it; I don't like the taste of tomatoes and don't enjoy dipping my challah in anything. But my husband does like it, and we usually buy tomato dip in the grocery. My mother and sister gave me for a DELICIOUS Tomato Dip, and back when I was still making potato kugel every week, I would then rinse out the food processor and make a quick tomato dip. Here's the recipe, in case you needed one.

2 whole tomatoes (the riper the better)
2-3 nice-looking cloves garlic
a little less than 1/4 cup oil
a little less than 1/2 tsp salt
a dash of black pepper
Crushed Red pepper flakes to suit your taste

Blend it all the blender and food processor. You can adjust the garlic and red pepper flakes to your taste.

Enjoy dipping that challah into that dip.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...