Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chicken Chow Mein

I don't have an exciting backstory to this recipe. All I can tell you is that it's simple to make, SCRUMPTIOUS, and an welcome break from the baked chickens and grilled and fried chicken cutlets that are ubiquitious in every heimish household. This ends up being an easy, almost-one-pot-meal, and includes the chicken, the starch, and the vegetable, and is a welcome change from mashed potatoes and boiled pasta. I made this dish for my relative who is not well, and plan to cook it for them again next week IYH. It's filling, delicious, and not a big patchkeh. Enjoy.

1 large onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
1-2 red peppers, diced
small can or several fresh mushrooms, diced
5-6 chicken cutlets, cubed
Rice


Dice the onion, sautee in oil until transparent.  Add the celery, a few minutes later add the peppers and mushrooms, let sautee for about 10-15 minutes, checking often to make sure it's not burning/sticking to the pot. When it's soft, add a little flour to make a roux (otherwise known as "raistel"). When the flour turns beige, add water (I usually put in hot water) and stir so the roux and veggies dont stick to the pot. Add the chicken cutlet cubes and cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Add boiling water if necessary (if starts to stick/burn). Of course, add salt according to your taste (I just put it on the center of my hand and toss.)

Cook 2 cups of rice separately. Serve together with the Chicken Chow Mein. I find it serves best when straight out of the pot, i.e. it hasn't been warming for hours. Therefore this makes an excellent dish that I can whip up as late as 4 pm since the prep time is about 15 minutes and the cooking time is under 2 hours.

LET ME KNOW HOW YOURS TURNS OUT!

A FRAILICHEN CHANUKAH!!






















Barn Sale 468 x 60

4 comments:

  1. This brings back memories from a loooong time ago
    (1) are you sure about the cooking time?
    (2) what about a can of chow-mein noodles?
    (3) soy sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of memories?
    What do you think is wrong with the cooking time?
    You can add or subtract whatever you want. This is my recipe, as I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to save leftover chicken (dark meat, mostly) in the freezer and use that instead of chicken cutlets. Also, you could pour in a can of stirfry vegetables or bean sprouts and that makes it very authentic (not that chow mein is an authentic Chinese dish, but at least it's a better imitation.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did u ever make this with dk. Chicken? Or is it better with reg cutlets? I love the dk. Chicken for everything, I feel it's much more softer. Wondering if you would know the difference?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...