Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Whole Wheat Pizza Wraps

It's been a very trying week here at Chez Blogowitz. I won't go into details here, but whoever knows me from other places knows what I've been going through. My head is not on straight and I haven't been able to concentrate on truly optional things like blogging. I've barely eaten or slept for days and don't have quite the appetite to talk about recipes.

But this evening things did seem to calm down and I decided that I really owe all of you a good, comfort food, easy dinner recipe. But what should I write about? The grilled chicken cutlets I hastily slapped onto my grill pan 2 nights in a row? The breaded macaroni I made yesterday and had my husband buy tonight?

So I sat here in front of the laptop screen, aching to go to sleep but feeling that I still owe you ladies (and if any gents are reading) SOMETHING to chew on tonight and tomorrow, when my 7 year old (whom I refer to as Chaim in the blogosphere) came wandering out of bed for the umpteenth time with some contrived 'problem' - he's exhausted the use of stomachaches and fears and thirst and hunger and this time it was "I need a good story in order to fall asleep." My storehouse of stories are bare for the night, sorry, buddy...

So I called him over to the screen and said, "Chaim, I need to write up a recipe for my food page. (of course, I don't call it a 'site' or  a 'blog' in front of him, ha.) What should I write about?"

Without skipping a beat, he replied: "PIZZA WRAPS."

Pizza Wraps!!! This, too, is one of those things my kids will eat no matter the time of day or day of week. It's simple-as-pie to throw together, a STAPLE in this house on Wednesday nights, and pretty filling. And since tomorrow is Wednesday, which seems to be the customary dairy night in many heimish households, you may be hankering for something new to try.

Pizza Wraps are so super easy to put together, because it requires only three ingredients and fits in a toaster oven. It's ready in no time and requires almost no prep and no mess. My kids INHALE it. One pack of Yossi's Whole Wheat 6" wraps is not enough in this house; I always need to buy 2 packs. Each of my kids has at least 2 wraps, and my husband can easily inhale 3.

And tomorrow evening IYH when I bake those weekly treats, the Wednesday pizza wraps, I'll bli neder photograph it, and this blog will have its first recipe photo! :)

I got the idea of pizza wraps in the first place through the Diet Center; they sold whole wheat pizza wraps in their fridge as part of their dietetic food options. Their wraps had a pitiful amount of lowfat cheese in the middle and I didn't like the taste too much. But when Yossi's Pita began manufacturing their wraps, I was excited to try my own, slightly fattier version. And it was a runaway hit, with everyone from my husband to my little one, who is known for his finicky taste. Even his Home Health Aide asks for one on Wednesday nights!

Oddly enough, the wraps are not wrapped. They are baked, served and eaten flat - sort of a personal pizza pie, only on a wrap instead of a pita, bagel, or dough. ENJOY.

So here's my personal recipe for the Pizza Wraps:

1 package Yossi's Whole Wheat Wraps - you can get the 6" or the 10" ones; I like the 6" ones better bc then you have a lot more 'crust' and it gets done quicker in the oven. And you can use regular wraps, but the whole wheat taste way better and are healthier, too.
1 package shredded cheese - I get the Mehadrin Double Blend for Pizza, but your favorite shredded cheese will do. You will need about one package per package of wraps.
1 jar Pizza Sauce - you can put ketchup and oregano or pizza spice instead, but this is what I use. No, I don't use an entire jar of pizza sauce each time; one jar is good for about 2 months.

Preheat toaster oven or milchig oven to about 400. Place about one tablespoonful of the pizza sauce or squirt some ketchup on the center of a wrap. Spread around with a spoon. Depending on the preferences of your pizza eaters, you might want to make the sauce thicker or thinner on the wrap.  Leave the perimeter empty, of course, for the crust! Toss shredded cheese evenly around the wrap, again, according to the pizza eater's preference. THAT'S IT! Place in the preheated oven - and you'll probably have to lower the temperature to about 350 or the wrap will swell up and burn up. The wrap is ready in 5 minutes or less - as soon as the cheese is completely melted and the crust gets crispy you can take it out and put the next pizza wrap in. My 9X13 toaster oven fits four 6" wraps at a time, so prep time goes really quickly. I like mine really toasty at the crust so I let it bake a little longer, but be careful it shouldnt burn or start swelling up - then you know you need to lower the temperature even further. Cut it with a pizza cutter and serve it to the salivating hordes. You'll find yourself, like me, making this every week, in doubles.

Enjoy - and a photo is likely forthcoming tomorrow iyh.

BON APPETIT!!!


Deal of the Week at 1800flowers.com! (While Supplies Last)

5 comments:

  1. the diet center links to a place in AKRON, OHIO??? lolllll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is Wednesday milchig night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, do you have any recipes for shabbos food. My husband likes regular shabbos things- kugel gefilte fish, cholent. But it gets boring sometimes! I'd like to spice it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. oish I did it wrong. am baking it rolled up. will let you know results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont worry, I sometimes close it like a sandwich and put it in the sandwich maker to send along with M for lunch.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...