Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pesach Recipes with minimal ingredients

When it comes to Pesach, I use almost no ingredients at all. This is what I am limited to:

Potato Starch
Salt
Sugar
Shmaltz
Coffee
Nuts
Eggs
Vegetables that can be peeled only. (not ones that you have to blanch to peel such as peppers and tomatoes).

No garlic, no mushrooms, no cocoa, no spices, no oil.

That leaves me with virtually NO INGREDIENTS.

Yet, every year I have a delicious Pesach menu. Here are 3 recipes I made this year. If you are among those who use virtually no ingredients (yes, I know some people dont even use potato starch or sugar...) maybe these can be helpful.

DOUGHLESS POTATO KNISH LATKES

1 large onion, diced and sauteed in 1/4 c. oil or chicken fat
5 potatoes, cooked, drained & mashed while still hot
Add:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c potato starch
1 tsp salt

Form patties, freeze unfried on a cookie sheet
When frozen, remove from freezer and fry or bake. I will fry them as it's much better.

FINGER LICKIN DELICIOUS!

****

Coffee Nut Ice cream

Recipe 1:

12 egg whites, beaten 
1 cup sugar
12 yolks, beaten
1/2 c sugar
3/4 c oil (optional - I omit it)
1 c roasted ground almonds
2 tsp coffee, diluted in drop of hot water

Recipe 2: 

9 egg whites, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
9 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 T coffee (recipe does not say diluted but I imagine it probably is)
1/2 c oil (optional)

Pour into 9X13 pan.

Combine 1/2 c chopped nuts with some sugar and sprinkle on top for topping.

VARIATION:
Omit coffee & flavor with any of the following:
1 T cocoa
2 T lemon juice
3 T orange juice pulp

NOTE:

To avoid ice cream from settling, freeze container for 15 minutes prior to freezing ice cream.

***

 I cooked a chicken roast and I cooked thinly sliced veal for my 2 Yom Tov day meals, and this is what I cooked it in:

Shmaltz
Sliced onions
Very small amount of finely minced horseradish
Very small amount of thinly sliced ginger
Sliced Carrots
Thinly Sliced Celery Root
Thinly Sliced Parsley
I took some of the vegetables from the chicken soup I cooked that day - the sweet potato, squash, some kohlrabi and parsley - and immersion-blended it. Then I poured some of that along with some chicken broth into the above vegetables and mixed it all up. I cooked the meats in this for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. It looks and smells delicious!

***
For side dishes, I often make mashed potatoes, and fried onion rings dipped in potato starch. thinly sliced zucchini, fried like potato chips, make for a healthier alternative and are a hit in this house.

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOUR PESACH PREP!!!!

12 comments:

  1. HI! for the doughless knishes you fry them frozen? or defrost first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. frozen is fine, this way they retain their shape.

      Delete
  2. I have to say, I find your use of "FINGER LICKIN" to be very untznius. I don't think frum ladies should talk that way. Especially when you write "LICKIN" not "licking." Maybe you disagree, but it sounds prust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Foodie, I really, seriously, hope you're joking. A gutn Moid!

      Delete
  3. They all look awesome.
    Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thank you again! My family is happy and ordered more of those good doughless knishes. R_ch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very choosy about using ingredients. Thanks that it made it so simple for us too. No headache of other things. Just use basic ingredients and the dish can be prepared.
    Good work!

    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to make the knishes, but we use even less ingredients - no starch (or sugar, or coffee, for that matter).

    curious how you use parsley if you can't peel it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for these! Be sure to submit any interesting posts to the Kosher Cooking Carnival. (I don't run the carnival but have hosted a few times)
    http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_208.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you don't use cocoa, how come you use coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I liked your post. I have blog about recipes into delicious dishes and you need see this: Delicious Dishes Recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...