Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mock Chopped Liver

When I got married and my mother started serving sheva-brachos style suppers every time we came, this foorshpyze became a staple. It's delicious and can be plated simply and attractively. This doesnt have to be an appetizer necessarily; you can serve this for lunch, melaveh malkah, whatever. Trouble is, it's  big patchke, and making half the recipe makes little sense because then you're left with half open cans of vegetables. Recently my mother has started making this almost weekly and then dropping off the extras to my sister, who then sends some to me. It's a wonderful, filling appetizer - to some, even perhaps a main dish. It's not HARD to make, but pretty involved. I serve it with bread or crackers, on a bed of lettuce with little cherry tomatoes.

The yield for this recipe is huge. It freezes okay, although the texture is a little off when defrosted. Use the full recipe when making this for a party or melaveh malka; you can make half the recipe, but you gotta figure out what to do with the half used cans afterwards.

Let me know how yours turns out.

8 hardboiled eggs
1 can green beans
1 can sweet pea
2 onions sauteed
1 cup breadcrumbs
2/3 cup ground almonds
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the eggs, sautee the onions, open the cans, measure the crumbs and almonds, and mash everything up together in a food processor or culinaire hand processor (which is a household staple in this house.)

!!!א הארציגן אפעטיט





 (I dont own either of these two, for the record)

4 comments:

  1. I process the beans, peas and onions first, put half of it in the freezer, and then add half the amount of the rest ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I process the beans, peas and onions first, put half of it in the freezer, and then add half the amount of the rest ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted this recipe! I've been wanting to make mock chopped liver for a while. Love the store bought kind. I'm sure homemade is a ton better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...