Thursday, December 20, 2012

Vegetable Turnovers (hidden in the middle of my entire recipe box's index....)

It's Thursday night, I'm thoroughly exhausted, and I haven't even started cooking for Shabbos yet. (Okay, I'm only cooking fish; cholent and soup are in the freezer and my husband buys the rest at the butcher takeout.) But this blog has gained some momentum lately - thank you ladies - and there have been requests. Yes, actual requests!! Ladies have asked for the recipes for Vegetable Cutlets, Vegetable Turnovers, and someone asked me to post the Two Tone Spiced Baked Potatoes already. I must admit that the recipe title was an exaggeration; it's simply cut up potatoes and sweet potatoes tossed in spices and baked. But I'll post it some other time.

Tonight, I'll post the recipe for either vegetable cutlets or vegetable turnovers, whichever my not-so-nimble fingers locate in my 16-year-old recipe box. Along the way I'll list the titles of recipes I found on the way, and if there's anything in particular you want me to post, let me know!

So lesseeee...

Salmon veggie patties (oops, that was supposed to be posted yesterday... oh well)
Tri-colored pasta with mixed veggies (oops... was also supposed to be posted yesterday)
Fancy 2-tone vegetable kigel (which I made once for yomtov and was such a patchkeh I never made it again)
No-mixer Chocolate Chip Squares
Fruit Ambrosia
"Chipkelech" - Mashed beans (goes very well with vegetable cutlet)
Brownies
Tomato Dip (already posted)
Easy Honey Cake (so easy I dont think I made it more than once... lol)
Goulash (quintessential Hungarian fare!)
Sauce for breaded chicken cutlets (also made just once, no one likes it)
Mock Chopped Liver (Delicious! but lots of work)
Blueberry Pie (for yomtov)
Cheese Blintzes (it never comes out good - I stopped making it, too much work)
Challah Recipe (I havent baked since before Rosh HaShana...)
Baked Apple with Strawberry Sauce (now that's a yummy appetizer I haven't made in too long!)
Mushroom Sauce (I have no idea when I made that...)
Chicken, Franks & potato stew (boy is that delicious, I should make it sometime! See, it pays to dig through the messy recipe box once in a while...)
Chicken Cutlets in Dough (probably also known as Wellington Fleish...)
Marinated salad (those were the balabuste days... sigh, I used to make such good stuff...)
A blank index card
An index card titled "Mashed vegetable turnovers" with no recipe
Another blank index card
And another blank one
And another
Kneidlach
Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies from Sunshine on Imamother
Meatballs, Fushirt, and Meatloaf
Krote Lukshen (Cabbage and Noodles)
Tomato Pasta (Yuck)
Unstuffed Cabbage (Already Posted)
Squash in Tomato Sauce Appetizer
Chulent
Parve Ice Cream
Blintz Recipe #2 (another abandoned Recipe)
Cheese Turnovers (Delicious appetizer for milchigs)
Iced Cappucino (YUMMMM)
Sesame Chicken Nuggets (delish)
Bean Soup (I probably havent made this since 2005)
Shlishkes (I probably havent tried this since 2004)
Marinated Cucumber Salad
EUREKA!!!! yoogateee mootzoosee!! VEGETABLE TURNOVERS!!!!!!

2-3 onions, diced
4 red peppers, diced
4 green peppers, diced
8 mushrooms, diced
sautee until soft
optional: 2 stalks celery
1 kohlrabi, grated

When it's all soft and delicious fill flaky dough triangles with a spoonful of vegetables. Use a slotted spoon to first drain off the copious liquid dripping off the vegetables. Close triangles and flatten edges with a fork or twist to make sure it stays closed during baking. Brush with egg and put sesame seeds on egg. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until dough looks baked through and no longer raw (nice brown color but not burnt).

It is a LOT of vegetable filling and you will likely stay over with a lot. So either make half the recipe, like I do, or save them in plastic cups in the freezer so that you have a really easy half-ready supper for next time; All you need to do is defrost a cup or two of filling and fill dough squares and bake them.

Stam for fun's sake, I'm going to continue going through my recipe box so that if there are any particular requests for any particular recipes.

Spiced Baked potato wedges
Simcha Fruit Entree (boy is that a lot of work!)
Easy Appetizer Fruit Salad
Another Easy Fruit Entree
Tomato White Fish with Vegetables
Broccoli Kigel
Letchow
Yerushalmi Kigel
Honey Cake Supreme
Marinated Peaches (this was my shlach monos of choice for a few years)
Baked Salmon
Fricasee (a favorite appetizer of my husband)
Potato Knishes
Euro Salad
Shabbos Fish
Apple Compote
Fruit Punch
Stir Fry Vegetables
Marble Cake
Paprikash Chicken
Potato Kigel
Marinated carrot celery salad
Cheese Lakes (already done)
Tropical Fuit salad
Grated Chocolate Cake
Yet another abandoned Cheese blintzes recipe
Iced Coffee #gazillion
ColeSlaw
Mushroom letcho
Italian Vegetables on a Roll
Kimpeturin Farina (check)
Tomato Squash Soup
Shabbos Liver
VEGETABLE CUTLET!!! - MY NEXT RECIPE, let me put it where I'll find it....
Breaded fried white fish tails
No Cook Fruit Soup
No Mixer Bakery Style Soft Mini Cookies
Yes Cook Fruit Soup
Vegetable Muffins
Chicken Chow Mein (check)
Potato Soup
Pastrami Knishes (check)

Hubby just asked me how you cook fish for shabbos - he isn't trusting me anymore to still cook it tonight. So I have to get up off my posterior in this comfy couch potato position. Groan, my joints! catch ya later.

7 comments:

  1. I don't cook fish. I buy or get from my mother. once my mil sent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are the peppers listed twice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoooops. thanks for the catch. It's supposed to be 2 different colors peppers. gonna change it.

      Delete
  3. Is it possible to have more photos? Please!! Loving the blog I think pics would take it to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only photograph whatever I actually cook. Or if I made it in the past and find a picture on my fb page. otherwise I dont have pictures of my recipes since I dont cook these on a regular basis!

      Delete
  4. Omg! I love your blogs...just wanted you to know that...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...