Saturday, December 22, 2012

Vegetable Cutlets

This recipe is a slight patchke, but it's so delicious and pretty nutritious too. You will have a LOT of batter, so you can form additional cutlets and put them away in the freezer double wrapped. This recipe goes VERY WELL with 'chipkelech', or mashed beans, which is a patchkeh in itself, but I will post that recipe upon request.

Here goes the recipe for VEGETABLE CUTLETS:

1 potato cut up
1 zucchini squash cut up
1 sweet potato cut up

Bring to a boil and cook for about 25 minutes or until youre sure it's soft.

Add 1 bag of Bodek California mix (16 oz I believe) and continue cooking for another whiile until the cauliflower, broccoli and carrots are well cooked through.

Drain, and mash well. Some people use a processor but I find that it becomes extremely liquidy. I just mash it with a potato masher.

Take 1 envelope of matzah ball mix (whole wheat is fine too) and prepare according to instructions, which usually involves an egg and oil. Let stand for a few minutes so it begins to harden. Mix well with the vegetable batter. Add salt and garlic powder to taste - I'm sorry that there are no measurements here, but I usually just sprinkle in a little and taste it. Mix the whole batter well.

After the batter has stood for a while - refrigerated is even better - form cutlets. You can either fry it or bake it - I dont have the temperature or duration for baking as I always fry them, which gives it its delicious flavor. I can ask my mother, who gave me this recipe, how long she bakes them for. If you choose to fry, make sure oil is really hot so you drop in the cutlets and it begins to sizzle and form color right away. Again, I don't have exact written instructions on how long to fry it on each side for; when I start noticing it looks nice and brown around the edges I flip it over. If you've fried latkes before you should know how the frying business works :). If you want temperature and duration for baking this, please request.

ENJOY - B'TAYAVON!

8 comments:

  1. Ok now i can retype my long drushe. I couldnt get it to post sorry about the extra comment.
    So I wanted to know how much are the contents of 1 envelope of matza ball mix. And what to add according to the packaging instructions. I usually have regular matza meal I would like to use that and use the equivalent ingredients.
    Also do you freeze this before or after frying?
    I can't wait to try this it sounds yummmm!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be frozen before or after. Sorry I'm not sure what the equivalent is of matzah meal, you'd probably need to spice it up too. I'll check on the box next time I make it to see the measurement.

      Delete
  2. What company is it that you get it in envelopes maybe I can check it out myself with no bother to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the recipe. I can't get the mix so I made it by changing the proportions and using my regular kneidle recipe. They are beautiful and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you post your mashed beans recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. you dont need bodek. its over priced. You can go with store brand, and yes, store brand frozen vegetables, are ok. Ask your Vaad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking for your chipkelech beans recipe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...