Sunday, December 30, 2012

Chicken Paprikash

I'm really sorry for neglecting this blog. It's been crazy around here, BH. My husband's baby sister got married on Wednesday. We had sheva brachos on Thursday, Friday and Shabbos day. I haven't been cooking, so I haven't been blogging.

Tonight's supper is as simple as pie. Totally nothing to write home about. No fancy lo meins, chow meins, a la kings, apricot chicken or duck sauce chicken or YomTov chicken. Just a back-to-basics, super-Hungarian dish: Paprikash Chicken. It's not even a recipe worth posting. It's everyone's everyday chicken. But what makes this recipe noteworthy to me is the memories it brings. This was an absolute staple in my mother's house, and surprisingly is one of the few foods my special needs son will eat. The trick is to cook this long and cook this slow. However, it's edible after only 1 1/2 hours. The softer it is the tastier is it, but if you're pressed for time - like I'm now, I put this up at 4 pm! - don't worry about the softness.

Basically you put oil, sliced onions (rings), sliced garlic, sliced celery, sliced carrots, and a LOT of paprika into a frying pan or pot. Put the chickens face down and let it cook for a minimum of 1 1/2 hours. The more, the softer and the better. That's all there is too it. Oh, and add salt too, at some point, if you'd like. Kosher chicken is salty to begin with so you dont need a lot of salt.

My 'side dish' tonight is simple mashed potatoes, which I will garnish with Oneg's crunchy Fred Onion garnish. The FOORSHPIZE will be baked apples with strawberry sauce. Oh wait - I forgot to buy ground nuts for the baked apples. Maybe I'll just crush up some almonds and use that instead.

HEART APPETITE, PEEPLES.

5 comments:

  1. Perhaps this is a silly question, but what side do you consider to be face-down for the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so a really basic question. You cook this on a pot / pan on the stove top (not in the oven) with no liquid? I've never tried cooking chicken on the stove with no liquid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gosh!!!! I left out the OIL!!!!! THE OIL and onions together give off the liquid base. I'll have to add it to the recipe - thanks for noticing!!

      Delete
  3. Cooking this with schmaltz tonight.
    I love the no measurement recipe.

    I never use them anyway, and without seeing them, is aesthetically simpler to read.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...